The cloud is transforming infrastructure and making it possible for all size business to adopt and afford enterprise-class infra, everything without the cost, complexity, and constraints of traditional networks. Cloud networking shares many of the same benefits of other cloud IT services such as rapid deployment, easy administration, no new hardware to buy, no software updates or annual maintenance, pay-as-you-grow subscription pricing, built-in scalability and redundancy, and anywhere access via an Internet connection.
Meraki was a company that provided products for large-scale, distributed wired and wireless networks. The company was started by two MIT PhD students, Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket, along with Hans Robertson. The company was based in part on the MIT Roof net project and became part of Cisco Systems in December 2012
About Cisco Meraki
Cloud Networking provides all the below without the cost and complexity of controller appliances or overlay management software
- centralized management
Meraki products are built for cloud management, and come out of the box with centralized management,
- layer 7 device and application visibility,
- real time web-based diagnostics,
- Reporting, and much more.
Cisco Meraki deploys quickly and easily, without training or proprietary command line interfaces.
Meraki’s founders invented Cloud Networking while working as graduate students at M.I.T. Cisco Meraki now has a complete line of cloud networking products that power over 20,000 customer networks, including massive global deployments with tens of thousands of devices.
- Reliable, high-performance Cisco Meraki wireless APs, switches, and security appliances are deployed in your campus or remote branches.
- Cisco Meraki devices automatically connect to the Cisco Meraki cloud over SSL, register with your network, and download their configuration.
- You have complete visibility and control over your entire network over the web. Configure thousands of devices, run diagnostics, or view reports with a few clicks.
- Tasks such as RF optimization and VPN configuration are automated by the cloud, while firmware updates and application signatures are seamlessly deployed over the web.
1. Rapid deployment with self-provisioning, self-optimizing hardware
2. Control applications, users and devices
3. Built-in multi-site management
4. Automatic monitoring and alerts
5. Future proof and always up to date, with seamless over-the-web firmware updates
and new features delivered quarterly
· Traffic Flow
Cisco Meraki uses an out of band management architecture, meaning that only management data flows through the Meraki cloud infrastructure. No user traffic passes through Meraki’s datacenters, and your data stays on your network.
· If Cisco Meraki cloud is not accessible
Your network continues to function normally even if you can’t access the cloud. Users can authenticate, firewall rules remain in place, and traffic flows at full line rate. Only management functions – reports, configuration tools, etc. – are interrupted.
· Firmware upgrades
Meraki provides firmware updates via seamless, over-the-web upgrades. Cisco Meraki releases updates each quarter that contain new features, performance improvements, and other enhancements. Firmware upgrades are delivered securely over the web, which you can reschedule or cancel at any time.
· Sizing network
The Cisco Meraki cloud architecture provides a feature set that is rich enough for large enterprise deployments, yet is easy enough to be used by IT generalists without training. Cloud based infrastructure provides cost advantages in both small and large networks, and the Cisco Meraki cloud infrastructure scales seamlessly from small branches to large campus environments and distributed networks..
· Cisco Meraki security compare to traditional network infrastructure
Cisco Meraki has made major investments in the security of its cloud infrastructure, providing safeguards and tools to all Meraki customers. For example, Meraki undergoes daily penetration testing by an independent 3rd party, has received PCI Level 1 certification, and provides numerous security tools to help customers to harden their networks.